Friday, March 22, 2013

Remember

5 Minute Friday


Remember

START

I was working at a bank on an army base almost 5 years ago. I was in the drive thru laughing and joking with the other ladies about something silly Im sure. The phone rang and I answered it as always, to hear my husbands voice. He said "Mark is gone". I didn't quite understand at first, it was like my brain couldn't quite process what had happened. Our friend Mark, whom we had lived with for 3 months while we waited for our house, had been killed in Iraq. He was an Apache pilot and he had been shot down. He was also the first friend I had lost to war since my husband joined the military . 

How could he be gone? He was just home on leave? What was going to happen to his fiancee? 

I don't know why this memory popped in my head when I saw the word Remember....I promised to always remember him and his sacrifice. I guess he is on my mind. 

STOP


3 comments:

  1. Brandi, thank you for sharing. It must have been a life changing day to hear that news about your friend and I am not surprised it came to mind when you went to write today. Bless Mark and those who love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you to all of you who serve our country - whether in the military or living a military life as your loved ones serve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( You never forget phone calls like that. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete