Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hello, my name is Brandi, and my child is Spirited - HELP!

"The word that distinguishes spirited children for other children is more. They are normal children who are more intense, persistent, sensitive, perceptive, and uncomfortable with change than other children" - Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

HOW DID SHE KNOW!!!! I started reading "How to Raise Your Spirited Child" on a recommendation from a friend. At this point, I feel like the worlds worst parent since I cannot seem to control my daughter. As such, I must be a failure as a parent, because no one else I know has the issues I have.

I actually cried when I read the first chapter, which described my sweet girl to a tee! Energetic, Intense, and especially uncomfortable with change. There are actually many, many parents going through the same thing and I had no idea. The biggest lesson I have learned form this book so far is,  typical discipline that helps other children, WILL NOT work. It is vital to really understand your spirited child, in order to decipher the best way to deal with her. You have to completely change how you think about about her behavior.

Well, the psych major in me was able to wake up from the dead and get to work! I'm only half way through the book right now, but I have already started trying some new techniques after learning more about how Lily thinks. In my never ending quest to figure out what exactly I want to write about, I have decided that this journey is perfect! I get so excited with every new discovery, and every new good day I just want to share.

So that's my plan. I want to write about all my successes and failures with my "spirited child" because misery as well as excitement love company!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Brandi! I am the mother of a spirited daughter as well. She's a handful, to be sure, and so intense. If she loves you, she loves you with all her heart. That's a great book and full of practical advice - I've read it myself. By the way, my daughter is also adopted. :-)

    ReplyDelete